Saturday, October 2, 2010

Reflection 1

Molnar states on page five that “The world of education has changed from an orderly world of disciplines… to an infosphere in which communication technologies are increasingly important. While education is changing, it is not changing fast enough.”

In the first section of the textbook, Picciano discusses how technology has become a fact of our daily lives and how we are becoming a multimedia dependant society and because of this it should be the same in education. It is important that schools integrate technology into curricula, and the day-to-day learning process for students. However, we must incorporate technology, not just to teach the use of technology, but also to make it meaningful and applicable. Technology by itself is limited, but as a tool in education, and when placed in the right hands, it can open new possibilities and enrich student learning regardless of their grade level.

Picciano discusses the importance of planning for technology within a school system. Effective planning is important if technology is to be utilized with efficacy and fidelity. Sheathelm (1991) identified the four major elements of successful planning as comprehensiveness, collaboration, commitment, and continuity (pg. 19). These elements can help guide a framework in planning for technology. A planning committee also needs to consist of a diversity of people, from administrators, teachers, students and parents because for technology to be implemented successfully, there needs to be buy in from all of these individuals. Planning must also contain feedback and evaluation. Evaluation is critical to meeting objectives and goals.

Planning should also be sensitive to equity issues such as special education, gender issues, and the concept of the digital divide. Technology can be used to aid students with special needs; it can be used to alleviate the hindrances that many special education children experience in learning. (pg. 40). In developing curricula, educators need to realize that gender based attitudes toward technology exist and that they might also be reinforced outside of school, therefore when if technology is to be considered an important part of the educational system, schools need to attempt to overcome these attitudinal problems. Picciano offers some valuable suggestions on how schools can accomplish this (pg. 42). Schools and educators really need to realize and understand that there are still students whom have limited access to technology and because of this, consider doing something for the students who do not. Educators should try not to add to any inequities that exist, but should creatively use technology to lessen it (pg. 47).

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I can completely empathize with your emphasis on creating meaning and usefulness with technology. In some ways, it is a great deal like how we have told students that it is important to go to college. Unfortunately, we have not told them why and even taught them what to do once they get there. However, I am curious about what you mean by "educators should try not to add to any inequities that exist, but should creatively use technology to lessen it." This is something that I am confronted by day after day in teaching when I assign students papers to type or film projects. What do I do? If I make accommodations for the lack of technology I fail to properly educate a 21st century student. Yet, if I over emphasis technology in the classroom I could potentially alienate students. I walk a very hard line each day in the classroom because of such a catch-22. I am not sure we will ever be able to solve this problem. It's like racism; how do we ever create equality without inequality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tashia,

    I wanted to jump in here and submit what I take from the comment: "educators should try not to add to any inequities that exist, but should creatively use technology to lessen it."

    I think that this statement simply suggests that the teacher should be aware of how many students in his/her class have access to technology in the home so that they can be sensitive to this issue prior to planning lessons with technology integration.

    Furthermore, I would agree that you are correct in suggesting that equality cannot come without inequality at some extent, change and progress cannot occur without rifts in the water. Picciano (2011) suggests that, “ various reasons for attitudinal differences may relate to larger societal factors including parental influence, subject stereotyping, peer influence, and access to computers (including video games ) in the home.(pg. 42)

    Moreso, I think that as an educator you are doing what is within your means. You cannot add to inequities that are already present beyond the school walls. You are however providing the students an opportunity to engage in some form of technology. If you are aware that certain students do not have access to computers or video systems outside of school have an option available such as afterschool library or computer lab use or modify the lesson to be completed within the classroom.

    Maria Melendez

    ReplyDelete